Candidates will be admitted to the M.Tech. program of the Institute under one of the following categories:
- Regular full-time students with Half-teaching Research Assistantship (HTRA) assistantship
- Regular full-time students without HTRA assistantship
- Full time sponsored students by the Industries, established Institutes/R&D Organizations/National laboratories without HTRA assistantship.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor's degree in Engineering / Technology with minimum first class or 60%aggregate marks (or Equivalent CGPA) in all the four years from a recognized University or Institute in Electrical Engineering (EE), Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE)and who have qualified and have a valid score in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) inthe above disciplinesare eligible to apply for admission to the this program.
- For all B.Techs from IITs graduated with a CGPA of 8.0 or above, the requirement of GATE qualification is waived off.
- A student sponsored by a recognized R&D organization, academic institution, government organization or industry with minimum first class or 60% aggregate marks (or Equivalent CGPA) in their Bachelor's degree are eligible to apply for this program on a full-time basis. The Institute does not provide any assistantship to such students.
- A candidate with Associate Membership of Professional Bodies equivalent to B.Tech. with minimum first class or 60% aggregate marks (or Equivalent CGPA), as approved by the Senate and having valid GATE score in EE stream shall also be eligible to apply for admission to this program with assistantship, subject to regulations approved by the Senate.
The program structure is planned in an application oriented manner through specialized core-courses with a significant hands-on practicum component, research and development (R&D) oriented advanced-level courses and project work. The objectives of this program are:
- To make the students conceptually strong and also aware of the state-of-the-art technology/practices in the area of power electronics and drives
- To take the students through essential stages of technology starting from circuit and system level understanding, modeling, control, design, numerical simulations and finally experimental implementation
- To expose the students to real-world industry oriented applications and problems in the field of power electronics and drives.
Salient features of the program:
- In the first semester, the focus will be on Electrical Engineering Core courses which are pre-requisites for more advanced and specialized courses. The core courses are mandatory.
- Laboratory core courses are designed so as to go hand-in-hand with theory core courses and to bring in a deeper insight into the concepts learned in the classroom. Laboratory experiments are designed in consultation with industrial partners to bring stat-of-art practices to the curriculum.
- Advanced and specialized courses are offered to make the students aware of the state-of-the-art in the technology, such that they are exposed to the real-world problems and ultimately able enough to tackle them with technology solutions.
Admissions will be given to regular full-time students with HTRA assistantship on the basis of GATE score, Bachelor degree marks (or Equivalent CGPA) and/or followed by written test/personal interview. The interview and/or written test shall be conducted for sponsored category/regular full-time students without HTRA assistantship candidates. The school will adopt qualifying criteria for short-listing and prepare a merit list of selected candidates for the admission into this program.
List of Discipline Electives
- Special Electrical machines
- Nonlinear Stability and Control
- Solar Photovoltaic Energy Systems
- Power Quality and Custom Power Devices
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems and HVDC
- Power Electronics Application to Power Systems
- Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
- Synchro phasor Technology and Its Applications
- Smart Grid Technology
- Power Electronics for Renewable Energy System
- Computer Aided Design of Power Electronic systems and Electrical Drives
- Condition Monitoring of Electrical machines
- Power semiconductor devices
- Power converters for Microgrids